How do you want to develop?
Development is a core pillar of TSVL's long term plan. We believe the more you know and the better you get at volleyball, the more you'll enjoy it and the more you'll want to come back. Personal skills, team play and referee clinics are planned throughout the year for all levels. Take advantage of the benefits of being a member.
The Toronto Spartan Volleyball League hosts development sessions on a regular basis targeted to various skill levels to allow members with all levels of experience to get some extra practice. Development sessions are held on select Monday evenings at Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute (800 Greenwood Avenue) from 7:00 PM – 9:45 PM. The cost to register for a development session is $10.
Development sessions involve several different activities designed to learn how to move on the court, develop proper technique when playing the ball, and understand strategy and positioning, all tailored to an appropriate level for the session. Each session will also start with a facilitated warm-up and end with some time for the participants to scrimmage.
There are three levels of development sessions:
- Recreational – For brand new players as well as experienced recreational and intermediate players; focus on getting repetitions for basic skills (bumping, overhand passing, serving) and introductions to hitting and blocking.
- Intermediate – For experienced recreational and intermediate players, as well as lower-level competitive players; focus on improving basic skills (bumping, overhand passing, serving), elements of hitting and blocking technique, and positioning when playing some competitive formations.
- Competitive – For experienced intermediate players, as well as low- and mid-level competitive players; focus on consistent and controlled passing, setting, and hitting, with targeted drills to recreate common game situations while in competitive formation.
Here is the development schedule for the Winter 2024 season:
- Recreational Session – January 22
- Intermediate Session #1 – January 29
- Competitive Session #1 – February 12
- Intermediate Session #2 – March 4
- Competitive Session #2 - March 18
You can register for development sessions at the link below. Sessions will usually become available to book around two weeks before they are held.
The TSVL is a volunteer-run, not-for-profit adult volleyball league catering mainly to the lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transpeople, queer and LGBTQ-friendly community in Toronto, Canada. The League provides an inclusive and fun environment to play volleyball and a social place to enjoy the company of new people and old friends. TSVL is the largest not-for-profit gay sports league in Canada. Learn More Here
Sign Up for our Newsletter
Toronto is located on traditional territories of Indigenous people dating back countless generations, whose connection to this land continues to this date. As a result of past and ongoing colonization, invaluable culture, language, and history have been destroyed. In addition, we operate freely on land that was once the territory of a people that now have been displaced to other spaces and whose rights to hunt and fish have been denied.
We acknowledge that our league operates on the traditional territories of the Wendat, the Haudenosaunee, and the Anishinaabe peoples, whose presence here continues to this day. In particular, the gyms we play in are located on the territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit and within the boundaries of the Toronto Purchase Treaty (Treaty No 13) – a problematic “purchase” of land by the Crown from the River Credit Mississaugas and the subject of one of the largest claim settlements in Canadian history.
In recognizing that we are all treaty peoples, we will continue to acknowledge the land we operate on, but also work to uphold our treaty obligations to learn, understand, respect, and care for the land in partnership with its original stewards.